1944 – 25 Oct 2017
Eleanor attended St Andrews University where she graduated with an Honours Degree in English, and then obtained a Teacher’s Training Qualification in Aberdeen. She taught in Whitburn, Alloa and Stirling. Eleanor joined the congregation of St John’s, Alloa, and much of her interest outside teaching was centred on church activities, as well as many other charitable endeavours. When the opportunity arose in the Scottish Episcopal Church for women to go into Holy Orders, Eleanor was ordained, and for the rest of her life remained part of the Ministry team at St John’s.
She learned to ring when Harry and Elizabeth Glover moved to Alloa in the late 1960s and revived the band that had collapsed after the death of their captain Sandy Henderson. When they moved away in 1970, Eleanor took on the task of tower captain. She rang one peal for the association on St John the Evangelist’s day to mark the completion of work on the tower and bells as part of a major restoration of the fabric of the church.
In all she accomplished Eleanor would never push herself into the limelight but she was extremely well organised and very reliable with a caring nature, bringing success to all she accomplished. She is missed by all the ringers of the central towers.
Magnus Peterson and Judith Frye